Wits University is cognisant of a number of students who may need assistance with registration and Accommodation a result of their socio-economic circumstances.
The University will open applications for Hardship Funding for either accommodation or registration between 11/12/2023 and 19/01/2024.
The hardship applications will open on the 22nd January 2024 and close on the 26th of January 2024 for special consideration. Only students with an average below 50% but not less than 48% will be able to apply.
Hardship applications for accommodation will be open until the 17th of February 2024.
Please note that resources are limited and therefore funding is not guaranteed. All students, therefore, are encouraged to continue to seek alternate funding as the criteria will be strictly applied.
- NB. This is not a bursary, it is only to assist with registration
- 足球竞彩app排名s who apply must be eligible according to the criteria set below.
Fund Application Criteria
- 足球竞彩app排名s who have a gross household income less than R600 000 per annum.
- Returning students who have obtained a minimum average prior-year mark of 50% and above.
- 足球竞彩app排名s who stay further than a 30km radius from the university will be considered.
- Accommodation in a Wits accredited on- or off-campus residence facility only.
Hardship funding is NOT granted for:
- 足球竞彩app排名s who are eligible for the DHET Government Bursary (New NSFAS i.e. FTEN from 2018)
- 足球竞彩app排名s registered for Non-Degree courses eg. Diplomas and Certificates in the prior academic year. See full terms and conditions.
- 足球竞彩app排名s registered as part-time in the prior academic year.
- 足球竞彩app排名s who received hardship funding in the previous academic year.
How To Apply
- Login to student self-service portal
- Click on the “Council Hardship Application” tile
- Select from the drop-down list “Begin New Application”
- Select from the drop-down list “Level of Study”
- Select from the drop-down list “Application type”
- At this stage, the hardship criteria rules will apply. If you are eligible the terms and conditions page will open.
- Ensure that you read and understand all the terms and conditions before proceeding with the application.
Please ensure that the following documents are ready as you will be required to upload them as part of the application process.
- Proof of gross household income (combined income before deductions of income-earning members in a household must be up to R600k). It must be salary advice or any other proof of income, no affidavit will be accepted. Where necessary the University will verify income. A consent form will be required.
- Copy of parents or guardian identity documents.
- Consent form to verify household income.
Wits Accommodation Deposit/Full accommodation
- Detailed affidavit (which includes details on student’s effort to secure funding and student circumstances)
- Proof of gross household income (combined income before deductions of income-earning members in a household must be up to R600k). It must be salary advice; no affidavit will be accepted.
足球竞彩app排名s applying for emergency accommodation support must please note that an interview may be required to get a better sense of their circumstances. Should they be successful for emergency accommodation support, this will be in shared accommodation only and at a Wits accredited accommodation provider in line with the arrangements made from time to time. Accommodation arrangements are temporary and periodically reviewed.
足球竞彩app排名s who secure funding (that includes accommodation) will be required to vacate the emergency accommodation and make their own appropriate arrangements in line with their funding.